Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The First Day a USFQ


The past two days have been a learning experience to say the least...




It all started at 7:45 when my host mom, Lorena, drove me to USFQ which is a good 20-30min ride from my apt. in Quito. Along the way she pointed out the buses that I should take and the various stops. Upon arriving to USFQ in the city of Cumbaya I´m sure I looked like a deer stuck in the headlights of an oncoming car. I had seen the layout of the University online and it didn´t look that large but it damn sure did that first day. I walked into the lobby where an orientation leader person directed me to orientation for new students, in very fast spanish. I knew that it was the wrong orientation and simply said ¨Donde¨and she knew that I needed to go to orientation for international students. That seems to be the paradox of being Aladdin(in other words, not looking like a gringo, or white foreigner)

In other parts of the world, Mexico, gringo is a somewhat pejorative word in reference to whites and Americans. However, here in Ecuador gringo is a common word for foreigners and Ecuadorians will often refer to gringos as gringitos making it more familiar. Another surprise is the word negro, black as we know, but in reference to Black people as well. My mexican friend, Fidel Castro(no affiliation with the Cuban liberator), indicated that negro is somewhat of a slur and that moreno was more ¨P.C.¨to use in reference to those of African descent.

After getting lost and going to the Office of International Programs I found my way to a plaza with tons of other students and tables set up with group numbers on them. I was hoping that I´d be in the same group as Chisara because our last names are so close, Ezie and Foster, alas she was in group 4 and I in group 5. I was expecting everybody to be speaking English since it was the first day, but all these super-motivated kids were speaking Spanish so there was some awkward silence during meet and greets until I got into the swing of things. It flowed better but I was still in caveman mode.

People I´ve met thus far: Bastian, from Alemania(Germany), Missy Green, from Ole Miss(Finally someone from the South), Ryan, from Michigan State, Jason, from N.C. State and several other international students.

It was typical orientation with several speakers talking about Quito, USFQ and how unique of an opportunity this is. Two words I learned at orientation were ¨gua gua¨ which in Quito means baby but in Puerto Rico means the bathroom. Also ¨chapi chapi¨which means half and half, more often in reference to mestizos or persons who are half Indigenous and half European...and I guess to some degree, my ethnicity.

After tours in such some friends and I ventured outside of the gates of USFQ to a pizzeria of all places. It was different, cheap, and good. I got a personal pizza, papas fritas(fries), a drink and service for $3!!! Since Chisara was in another group we didn´t eat together, because we couldn´t find each other, however upon leaving the restaurant we ran into each other. We walked around some more and caught the bus back to Quito together.

Bus info: So there is a very main road where the Eco Via or el bus rojo as I call it runs called el 6 de Diciembre. For my Birimingham folks...think of it as a very very long six lane University Boulevard with the two inside lanes reserved for the bus. I take that bus in Quito to get to the North Station where the buses stop and turn around. It´s about 8 or 9 stops from where I live. Then I catch a green bus across the street that goes to Tumbaco, but it´s first major stop is Cumbaya where USFQ is located. This road is much more rural and goes on a highway through the mountains and is very scenic as much of Quito is. Also they ALL cost one quarter to ride...pretty nice compared to the wonderful Metro of Birmingham.




After Chisara and I got off the green bus we both got on the red bus together however she only has 2 stops from the station until she gets off where as i have several more. In true, Theodorian fashion...I forgot the stop that I was supposed to get off at. But no need to fret I got off on accident at one stop after I was supposed to and had an adventurous hour long hike/walk up and down hills until I found the crossing of Coruña y Itturey Manuel...where the apt is located. We had hamburguesas and sopa de pollo(chicken soup) for dinner and I was exauhsted




That was my first day, hectic...but an experience to say the least




Ciao, Teodoro

No comments: